Re: debian-pure64 sarge

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Eneko Lacunza wrote:

Hi all,

First of all, thanks a lot to everyone involved in this port. I just
bought a new destop PC and migrated my old PC data (mostly evolution
stuff) successfully and without problems from a Fedora Core 3 i386 :)

Too bad I discovered
http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 testing main
points to unstable :)

Is a downgrade to
http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/debian-pure64 testing main
supposed to work?

I did it a couple of weeks ago. It ought to work, unless you have installed some weird selection of packages. If you don't have one, create a /etc/apt/preferences file, and add stanzas like this:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 1002

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 99

Then modify your sources to point to http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/debian-pure64 testing
Then do

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

This will tell you it needs to download a heck of a lot of packages, which will be downgraded, and possibly will also tell you that a few packages will be removed because their dependencies cannot be met with packages in sarge. If those packages are not crucial, go ahead. I suggest to avoid doing the upgrade via dselect, since apparently is worse at resolving strange circular dependency problems. Be careful, though: while such a downgrade will work ok at the moment because sarge and sid are not all that different, it will become more difficult when they start to diverge, perhaps using very different infrastructure packages like different libc or perl or python (just possible examples) releases, or core utilities are split in packages with different names (as happened when coreutils was introduced).

Good luck, have fun
Giacomo Mulas

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                          (Freddy Mercury)