Re: Compiling code for EM64T

> We do care about the performance of the code as we need to get timing
> values on the architecture. Would it be possible to run the intel C/F77
> compilers on opterons to compile optimized for EMT.

Yes; that should work quite nicely.

Unfortunately, the Intel compiler does not have a good track record on
playing nicely with opterons. v8.0 of the compiler could produce binaries
which checked to see if they were running on an non-intel cpu (like an
opteron) and then refuse to run.

Take a look at this thread here:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.arch/browse_frm/thread/4e42f16511cf8640?hl=en&lr=&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fdq%3D%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26group%3Dcomp.arch%26selm%3Da13e403a.0402091438.14018f5a%2540posting.google.com

However, this behaviour is runtime, and not compile time.

Of course, if you are cynical or paranoid enough, and you should probably
run the compiler on your EMT box and on the opteron and compare the
results to make sure that the compiler doesn't do anything nasty when it
finds it is running on an opteron.

Guy

--
Dr. Guy Coates,  Informatics System Group
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SA, UK