Re: Compiling code for EM64T

>What I want to know is that do I need to set up cross compilation or
>normal binary would run without any problem on the EM64T.

The opteron optimised binaries should run fine on EMT64.[1]

However, they may not run as quickly as binaries optimised compiled up
with EMT64 optimisations.  So if you have some code whose performance you
really care about, it is probably worth re-compiling with EMT64 specific
binaries. (Take a look at the intel C/F77 compilers, they can do
significantly better than gcc on some code.)

Cheers,

Guy

[1] The only problem we've had running pure64 on EMT is that 2.6.X kernels
configured for EMT64 do not boot on our machines (IBM HS20 8843s), but
opteron kernels do.

--
Dr. Guy Coates,  Informatics System Group
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SA, UK