Re: Compaq PResario R3470US

On Friday 25 February 2005 12:58, rfsouza@cecm.usp.br wrote:
> AMD Athlon 64 processor 3400+ with PowerNow
> 1024MB DDR SDRAM (2 x 512MB) at 333MHz
> 100GB (4200 rpm) Hard Drive
> DVD±RW and CD-RW combo drive
> 15.4" WXGA High-Definition (j) BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) Display

this is nearly the same as my machine except for the hard-drive.  I've been
running debian-amd64 on it for months and things work very well.  You can see
my details here:

http://cmb.phys.cwru.edu/kisner/linux/compaq-r3000/

it is still mostly up to date...

> Also, does any of you has any experience with this machine or a similar
> Presario? Does it too hot while working and does linux support temperature
> monitoring (and control) on this plataform well?

CPU scaling works well, and the laptop is cool and quiet unless you are doing
something CPU intensive.

The only things that don't work well on this laptop are the built in flash
card reader and the winmodem.  Also, the built-in wireless is a little flaky
for some users with a 64bit kernel.  Hopefully this will improve.

Happy shopping!

-Ted