Re: octave and octave-forge

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:29:52PM +0100, Filippo Carone wrote:
>  Hi everybody,
>  I have octave and octave-forge installed, but on updates it happens
> octave being updated before octave-forge. To install octave-forge it
> seems compulsory for it to match the octave version, but it is
> sometimes annoying having octave-forge removed from an upgrade because
> of a minor octave update. For example the actual octave-forge in the
> archive seems 2.65, but octave is 2.65-1, so octave-forge will not
> install. I could put the octave package on hold, but I don't
> understand why they are not being updated at the same time.

Do you do an apt-get update or apt-get dist-upgrade?

octave-forge 2004.11.16-3 has this dependency:
Depends: octave2.1 (>= 2.1.64), octave2.1 (<< 2.1.65)

Version 2004.11.16-4 has this instead:
Depends: octave2.1 (>= 2.1.65)

This means that when octave just changed version from 2.1.64-1
to 2.1.65-1, and octave-forge wasn't updated yet, you couldn't
satisfy the dependency if you want the new version of octave.

The behaviour I expect from apt in that case is this:
- On update it should say that octave is hold back and not
  upgrade it.
- On dist-upgrade it should remove octave-forge and upgrade
  octave.

If that is not the behaviour you're seeing, I suggest you file a
bug against apt.

Now, as you can see, they changed the dependency to be less
strict, so you probably won't have that problem in the future.

Kurt