Re: dual opteron m/b: S2875ANRF vs. GA-7A8DW

On Thursday 24 February 2005 04:54, Max wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm hesitating over a choice of a dual opteron motherboard. Currently I
> consider two options:
>
> Tyan S2875ANRF http://tyan.com/products/html/tigerk8w_spec.html
> and

We have (at work) this mainboard and I must say it is perfect rock-stable
piece. It is used for biomolecules simulations, so most time it has full load
and till now without any problem (for 3 months). So I only can give the
recommendation for this one.

> Gigabyte GA-7A8DW
> http://tw.giga-byte.com/Server/Products/Products_ServerBoard_GA-7A8DW.htm
>
> They are quite similar (including a price ;) though there are some
> differences:
>
> 1. Form factor ATX vs. EATX (although Gigabyte claims "design to fit ATX
> chassis screw hole", and I think it will fit my middle-tower).

try to get size of MB ( e.g. from manual) and compare with your case...

> 2. Tyan's board has Intel 82541EI GbE LAN controller on-board while
> Gigabyte's possess Broadcom BCM 5705 (which one is better?).

I don't know which is better, but the intel works perfectly - although tested
only on Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) - no available 1 Gbps switch :(

> 3. Tyan has 5 PCI slots, Gigabyte - 2 PCI-X and 1 PCI (currently I don't
> have any PCI-X devices).
>
> 4. Tyan has integrated Firewire controller (I use firewire sometimes,
> currently with PCI controller).
>
> With respect to the features, I would prefer Tyan's board. But as a brand I
> like Gigabyte better than Tyan: previously I've had some negative
> experience with Tyan, and for more than a year I have been very pleased by
> dual-athlon Gigabyte motherboard GA-7DPXDW-P.

I know only about 2 Tyan MB in my neighbourhood - without any problem. But
with one Gigabyte A64 (sock. 754) MB (K8VT800) we have serious problem - it
cannot run with 2 DIMM double sided modules - but ram is problemfree - I
don't know if it is problem with CPU or MB, but there are some people on
forum.amd.com, which complain about same or very similar problem with
gigabyte MB. :(

Milan