Re: Doomsday with 32bit Chroot, what now?

On Monday 21 February 2005 18:27, Greg Grotsky wrote:
> installed (in my chroot) I can't figure out how to run it.  No matter if I
> try to redirect the display to :0.0 or not deng doesn't work.  It gives me
> the following:

Do you have /tmp and your home directory bind mounted in the chroot?  Sorry if
you already know this info...  From the error, it looks like perhaps it could
not parse the command line option "-file doom.wad".  Maybe dchroot is not
passing the rest of the command line properly to sudo?  Does your dchroot
script have the "--" option to stop processing of command line arguments and
pass them to the chrooted command?

I gave a summary of other people's posts in a previous mail to the list... but
that mail never showed up in the archives!  So here is a snippet again:

(From email on 15/2/2005):

... my chroot is in /ia32-root.

I have /home and /tmp bind mounted inside the chroot:

(/etc/fstab outside chroot):
/home           /ia32-root/home    none    bind    0       0
/tmp            /ia32-root/tmp     none    bind    0       0

Then I make sure that the /etc/passwd file contains the same UID <-> user
mapping both inside and out of the chroot.

ia32 /ia32-root

Now let's say that I want to run my 32bit copy of the IDL program, which is
installed inside my chroot.  I have the following small script outside the
chroot:

/usr/local/bin/idl --> /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot:

#!/bin/sh
exec dchroot -c ia32 -d "$(basename $0)" -- "$@"

so this switches to the chroot and executes the identically named command
(idl), and passes any extra arguments to the command inside the chroot.  This
configuration has been working great both for commercial software like IDL
and also things like OpenOffice.  Also it maintains a clean separation
between the 32bit and 64bit software

Hope this helps!

cheers,

-Ted