Re: Problems during Installation on AMD64

I am new user and trying to install Debian AMD64 through "Sid -AMD64-netinst" CD on my machine that has following specifications.
1. CPU: AMD64 3400+
2. Marvel Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter
3. Video card: GeForce FX5200
4. Memeory: 1.5GB etc.

Currently, I can install the base system and use "apt-get install" tool to install packages such as gnome, gcc and make etc. The problems I have are:

1. NIC can only work in "DHCP" mode. If I configure NIC to be using static IP, I will get the wrong message

debian>> SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
debian>> failed to bring up eth0

Is the kernel not fully support the my NIC?

2. When I am trying to install NVIDIA dirver for my video card, I get message as
"Unable to find the kernel source tree for currently running kernel ..."

3. I log on using kernel 2.6.8-9-amd64-generic after installation. If I want to compile the kernel, how can I do that? Because I am trying  "make menuconfig" (there are nothing under /usr/src/ ) and "make xconfig" and nothing happens.

Thank you for helps

henry