Re: mounting a SATA drive

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 01:54:26PM +0100, Erik Norman wrote:

> I have installed the system on a IDE harddisk.
> I wondered how to mount a SATA harddisk.

Well, hmmm..., I'm not sure on what level to answer that. You first
partition it (e.g. with cfdisk), then you create a filesystem on the
partitions (mkfs.ext3) and use the "mount" program to mount the
partition. Sata drives will usually appear as SCSI drives, so their
name will be like /dev/sda, /dev/sdb instead of /dev/hda, /dev/hdb.

Here's a complete example:

cfdisk /dev/sda
# Create a logical partition
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda5