Re: Big filesystems.

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 15:43 -0500, Adam Skutt wrote:
> Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> > Unfortunately XFS also repeatedly swallowed a number of my volumes.  I
> > found it to be more unstable than any filesystem I have used (save
> > VxFS).  When using XFS, one must not read from the underlying device, or
> > one risks corruption.
> In Linux, doing this on *any* filesystem will potentially cause corruption.
>
> This is why e2dump/e2restore are *unsafe* and not to be used.
>
> Raw I/O operations bypass the buffer cache, so of course it'd be corrupted.

The latter part of this sentence is not supported by the former,

> If you're dicking with device access while a partition is mounted and
> you lose data, you deserve what you get.  This behavior has been a no-no
> forever.

Reading from the device never causes corruption of any other filesystem.
You can dump an ext3 filesystem all day long.  You'll get a corrupt
dump, but you won't get a corrupt volume.

>   This leads one to believe that using XFS on LVM,
> > md, or enbd would be somewhat risky.
> I dunno what 'enbd'

enbd is the enhanced network block device.

>  is, but XFS on LVM or md is perfectly safe.

No, actually, it isn't.  Look at the XFS mailing list.  There's a number
of reports of boinked volumes just in the last month.

>   They're
> kernel drivers for starters, so they can coordinate block I/O
> operations.  They also sit below XFS in the I/O layer, XFS just sees
> them as another partition.

This does not explain why XFS is frequently reported to become corrupted
when exported over NFS.

> I dunno how you came across this conclusion at all.

I came across this conclusion by losing numerous large filesystems in
the course of only 6 month before abandoning XFS.

-jwb