Re: Re: Another go at the Abit AV8 Pro 1.1

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 06:25:03PM -0500, garymary wrote:
>  I understand you are having problems with the Abit AV8 motherboard paired
> with the AMD 64 3400+ cpu, well, for one obvious problem I see is the
> motherboard and cpu mismatch.
> The Abit AV8 motherboard is a 939 socket, the AMD 3400+ is a 754
> socket, while the cpu may fit on the mobo you won't be able to use the
> dual channel memory feature and I suspect the mismatch would cause other
> problems as well. TigerDirect is also selling the motherboard combo
> and fail to mention the socket for the cpu. One would assume the cpu is
> also a 939 pin but it isn't.  the dual channel  memory PC3200 latency
> and voltage must also match your mobo.. I am searching the internet
> for a good 939 mobo, and Abit AV8 and the Asus A8V get high marks.
> hope this helps some     Gary

There are places selling cpu/motherboard combos where the sockets don't
match?  What kind of idiots would they have to be to do that?

I must admit amd's website does not list a 3400 that isn't socket 754,
so that would be a problem for a socket 939 board.

I would have never thought of that as a potential problem.