Re: Anyone tried the ASUS A8V-E Deluxe?

On Thursday, 10 February 2005 01:01, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Wesley J Landaker wrote:
> > I have this board, I'm still working on migrating everything over
> > to this system (it's going to be my new primary system on my desk).
>
> May I ask you, and the list, a question (well, a couple) then: how
> much RAM do you have installed? I have 4Gb on it, but I was unable to
> use it all, because apparently some addressing space (about 400Mb) is
> reserved for the southbridge. I found an option in the bios (the
> documentation is terse on it, to say the least) which claims to
> "remap" memory to make it all available. I tried enabling that, but
> then some drivers do not work well (e.g. nvidia, but I can live with
> it) or do not work at all (e.g. sk98lin, and this crashes the
> computer). Currently, for the sake of stability, I left remapping
> disabled in the bios and everything works like a charm, apart from
> the missing 400Mb, but this is not copletely satisfactory. Anybody
> else went through this? Suggestions?

I have 1GB, and I have all of my RAM available minus the size of the
kernel (1023816 kB total reported by /proc/meminfo). I'm using the
binary nvidia drivers for x86_64, the sysconnect sk98lin driver for
network.

I'm actually curious what BIOS option you're talking about, as I don't
see anything like what you were describing listed either in the BIOS or
in the A8V-E Dexlue motherboard manual. Anyway, 400MB seems like an
incredible (and strange) amount of address space to reserve for ISA
compatibility--it seems like it must be for something else.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>