Re: xorg, transparency and ati drivers

I had similar DRI issue due the following things:

1. Have to load agpgart and the module that corresponds to your agp
chipset (For instance on my Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 m/b I need agpgart
and amd64_agp modules loaded) You'll need to check your hardware for the
right modules

2. the XF86Config-4/xorg.conf should have the following setting changed:

from: Option "UseInternalAGPGART"         "yes"
to: Option "UseInternalAGPGART"         "no"

After you've done the changes you should see major improvements in 3d
acceleration and your X/Xorg logs should not have any errors related to
DRI.

Also, check the glxinfo command (it should have "direct rendering: Yes"
if the DRI is working properly

Hope that helps

--
Andrei Mikhailovsky