Re: Abit AV8: can't set DMA on cd/dvd, but can with Ubuntu live

Hi Ric,

Ric Otte wrote:
On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:49:54AM -0500, Javier Kohen wrote:

Did you try disabling generic IDE support in the kernel configuration? Check http://ck.kolivas.org/audio_hints.txt .

Hi,
I just tried that, and as a result my cd/dvd isn't recognized at
startup; without generic IDE support, I get no IDE at all.  Dmesg has
no mention of hda being recognized.

After rebooting into my normal kernel, I just ran dmesg |grep IDE and got: Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
Probing IDE interface ide0...
Probing IDE interface ide1...
Probing IDE interface ide2...
Probing IDE interface ide3...
Probing IDE interface ide4...
Probing IDE interface ide5...
VP_IDE: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:0f.1
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
VP_IDE: VIA vt8237 (rev 00) IDE UDMA133 controller on pci0000:00:0f.1
VP_IDE: port 0x01f0 already claimed by ide0
Probing IDE interface ide1...

So perhaps i'm not using via82cxxx and am instead using the generic
IDE driver?

It seems so. If you're not using initrd, you might want to compile in
the via82cxxx driver (i.e., not as a module), otherwise the kernel can't
read it from the disk. That works great here :)

Just remember to recompile your kernel with IDE generic support (or,
alternatively, use initrd to load the IDE modules) if, in the future,
you change to a non-VIA IDE controller.

Greetings,
--
Javier Kohen <jkohen@users.sourceforge.net>