Re: suggestions for a 64 bit laptop?

On 01 Feb 2005, Alex Perry wrote:
> Lennart's notes also apply to the E-machines / Gateway series.
> Having said that, we're quite happy with our half dozen machines.

	It's also worth mentioning that earlier produced machines
based on the Arima W730-K8 DTR design usually require a BIOS
update which is almost impossible to get directly from the
manufacturer.  I'm running on the eMachine M6805 currently using
the M6811 BIOS 0F07.P00 available from:
---
http://www.rmecc.com/~v2/em/

	Before upgrading, I had to disable ACPI, APIC, etc. to
get the laptop to boot without freezing.  With the newer BIOS,
everything works as expected.

	And with the possible exception of the modem, everything
seems to be supported at this point finally.  The ATI driver is
brand new, so all the normal warnings apply.

	As for me, I'm also waiting for a newer, faster laptop
based around an Athlon 64.  Something with the mobile ATI X800 or
nVidia mobile 6800 preferably, but I'm not holding my breath.
After the Arima machine came out, no one seemed to want to do
anything else with the idea.  Maybe once Windows 64 comes out
there will be more interest from the hardware manufacturers.

--
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
Computing and Information Services                      nipsy@tamu.edu

---begin random quote of the moment---
"If the American People ever allow the banks to control the
issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by
deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around
them will deprive the people of all property until their children
wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied.  The
issuing power of money should be taken from the bankers and
restored to Congress and the people to whom it belongs.  I
sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing
power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing
armies.

We are completely saddled and bridled, and the bank is so firmly
mounted on us that we must go where they ill guide.

The dominion which the banking institutions have obtained over
the minds of our citizens... must be broken, or it will break
us."

 -- President Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Monroe, 1 Jan
    1815
----end random quote of the moment----