Re: Netinstall fails to load sk98lin module.

> My computer, a Shuttle SN95G5, has an ethernet controller with
> a Marvell 8001 chipset. This is supported by the sk98lin
> module, but when I try to install with this image

I'm running on the same hardware FWIW.

>   ftp://ftp.caliu.info/pub/distribucions/debian-amd64/install-images/ \
>   sarge-amd64-netinst.iso
>
>   (image is dated Jan. 16 2005)
>
> it fails to load the module with these error messages:
>
>   sk98lin: disagrees about version of symbol pc_alloc_consistent
>   sk98lin: unknown symbol pc_alloc_consistent
>   sk98lin: disagrees about version of symbol pc_free_consistent
>   sk98lin: unknown symbol pc_free_consistent

Yes, I saw this too.

> putting an effective halt to my endeavours.
>
> Is this a case of the modules not having been compiled to match
> the kernel version?

> Anyway, I don't know what to do now, other than perhaps wait for
> a newer version, unless someone has a suggestion(?)
> There is no problem with my hardware otherwise, both the Knoppix
> and Ubuntu live-cd's works flawlessly including bringing up my
> internet connection.

I finished the CD part of the install without ever loading the module.
When I rebooted off of the installed kernel image it loaded the module
fine.

The other problem I had was that I wanted to install xfs and that module
did not seem to exist on the install cd.  I ended up installing to a
temporary partition using ext2, and "tar"ing the root filesystem over to
its real xfs home. I also had to symlink /sbin/fsck.xfs to /bin/true
temporarily so that the root filesystem would "pass" and then the machine
would finish booting.

Take care,
     Dale
--