A curious failure...

The system is built on a Tyan Tiger S2875 Rev.1.02 with a recent bios
upgrade. The kernel is 2.6.9-1-amd64-k8-smp. I'm using mdadm for raid
management.  Running out of gcc-3.4 with regualer upgrades.

The major data drive was a four disk raid5 (md1).  All Seagate 3160023AS
(SATA), two on the onboard si controller and two on a Promise 2x pci
card, mounted on /var.

The last thing I did to it was install alsa, which worked.  I left it
running seti for a couple of days, and when I tried to work on it
again, it was unresponsive.  No response at the console and no
response to an ssh session.  I turned it off.  When I turned it on,
md1 had failed.  Mdadm reported unknown partition table on all four
drives (both controllers).  fdisk revealed a label of 0x0000 for all 4
drive tables.  No logs are available (they were on /var, of course).

Is there any way to get the partition tables relabeled as
raid-automatic without writing over the rest of the tables -- in hopes
there would be something left that would permit mdadm to build the
raid?

Any ideas or rumors about what might have happened?

Is there a way to reconstruct the apt information that was in /var so
that I don't have to start from scratch?

Thanks.

Don

Don Hayward at pomobuli.net