Re: KDE Themes Missing?

Sven Krahn wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:35:59 -0700, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> > Sven Krahn wrote:
> >   apt-get remove xdm twm
> >   apt-get install kdm
>
> This is what I would expect as well. However, at least my installation
> wants to remove all KDE packages when just doing 'apt-get remove xdm'.

Hmm...  Strange.  I don't see that here.

>  Possibly, when re-installing KDE (and kdm) after doing this, xdm will
> not be re-installed and thus the dependencies might be tidied up
> again. I will check this.

Something still sounds strange.  It would certainly be good to get to
root cause of why it wants to remove kde for you.

One thing that sometimes pops up is that people install
x-window-system which pulls in x-window-system-core, lbxproxy,
proxymngr, twm, xdm, xfs, xfwp, xnest, xprt-xprintorg, xterm, xvfb.
It is just a meta package.  It is okay to remove that and probably
several of those packages in the depends list.  X itself is listed in
the depends below x-window-system.  But you would probably want xterm
out of that list.

In any case, when I hear xdm I assume it was pulled in due to
installing the x-window-system meta-package.

Bob