Re: No sound

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 12:46:51PM +0100, Norbert Schultz wrote:
> Here I had the same problem, although I could hear sound in general, but not
> in games. Hotplug has loaded drivers for oss and alsa. With a recompiled
> kernel (without oss) it works.

It is usually simpler to just blacklist oss in hotplug and/or discover.
Alsa has been trying to do that automatically on i386 lately when you
install it.

Most of the time just having alsa modules loaded first (from
/etc/modules) makes things work, although it seems for a few chipsets
the oss drivers even attempting to load afterwards cause trouble.