nvidia and stock kernel

Hi,

I just installed pure64 on a new machine (the install was surprisingly
easy), but am having trouble knowing how to install the nvidia drivers
(I've never used Nvidia before).  I just installed the stock kernel
(with headers and source) 2.6.10-9-amd64-k8, nvidia-kernel-source, and
nvidia-kernel-common.  I was following instructions at
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html and
things were fine until I typed "debian/rules binary_modules" which
issued several problems about gcc 3.4 and finally

  Your kernel was configured to include rivafb support!

  The rivafb driver conflicts with the NVIDIA driver, please
  reconfigure your kernel and *disable* rivafb support, then
  try installing the NVIDIA kernel module again.

So, does the Nvidia driver work with the stock kernel, or do I have to
go recompile the kernel without rivafb support?  And do I need to do
anything about the gcc-3.4 warnings?

Any help with getting Nvidia working would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Ric