Re: amd64(gcc4): aptitude dumps core

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Harald Dunkel wrote:

Folks, I need my PC. amd64(gcc-3.4) is on Unstable, but not
Experimental. Don't use an experimental compiler, please.

If I understood things correctly, the pure64 archive is the one which is supposed to become the official debian unstable distribution. The "gcc34" version, which is actually compiled with the latest compiler to maximise optimisation, is a little bit more on the experimental side. If you favour maximum stability, use pure64, if you accept a little bit more instability for (supposedly) best performance, go with gcc34. By the way, at least some of this instability is probably due to the fact that not all of the archive has been recompiled with gcc4, and there is some binary library incompatibility bitween the two. This will go away in time.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                          (Freddy Mercury)