Re: "rock solid" motherboard

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:11:37AM +0100, Filippo Carone wrote:
>  Hi everybody,
[snip]

>  Almost the same applies for the nforce3 250-gb, in this list some say
> some say the network and audio are well supported, while a mainboard
> using this chipset, Gigabyte GA-K8N PRO shows a "?" in the sound
> column of the "supported hardware" page.
>
>  I'm a bit puzzled, but I think this is because motherboards come with
> different BIOS versions and people have different experiences from the
> same hardware.
>
>  The choices I have are:
>
>  Gigabyte GA-K8NS
>  Chipset: NVIDIA nForce3 250 + ITE IT8712F
>  Audio:	  Realtek ALC850 Ac'97
>  Lan:	  ICS 1883 10/100Tx RJ45 or Marvell 8001
>
>  Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
>  Chipset: NVIDIA nForce4 4X MCPs
>  Audio:	  Realtek ALC850 Ac'97
>  Lan:	  CICADA8201 Gigabit
>
>  Asus K8V-DELUXE
>  Chipset: VIA K8T800 + VT8237
>  Audio:	  ADI 1980
>  Lan:	  3COM 3C940 Gb
>
>  These are almost in the same price range, the first being the
> cheapest. Which one would you suggest? Are nvidia proprietary drivers
> working well?

According to Tom's Hardware, the nForce3 250gb kicks ass of the VIA
chipset. If you want some extra bits of performance.
None of the nforce3 component of my K8N-E is unsupported. My only
concern is a bug in 2.6.[789] kernel wich prevent SATA disks from beeing
used if they are connected to the nforce sata ports.
This bug has been fixed in the 2.6.10 kernel. So, now, I have no more
concern.
Sound if they are marked with ac97, is supported by the snd-intel8x0
(which is really badly named in this case).

Hope this helps
	Seb