Re: Kernel-2.6.10 and 32bit emulation

Aritz Beraza Garayalde [Rei] wrote:

Hi,

Sythos <sythos@sythos.net> wrote:
I read on kernel 2.6.10 changelog that 32bit emulation is widely
improved...

This change something in amd64 situation?
using that kernel I had the problem that mplayer-32bit (from marillat)
totally freezes up my system. No matter if called from the chroot or
from the 64bit-environment. But I didn't spend much time in solving
this. Maybe its just a problem with my configuration.

If you google a bit, you'll be able to find some amd64 packages for
mplayer, also from marillat. Unfortunately last time i checked, there
was no debian repository, so you can't install them by adding a few
lines to your sources.list and using apt. You'll have to get all
needed packages and install them with dpkg.
The repository (as announced earlier on this list) is at

deb http://cyberspace.ucla.edu/marillat/ unstable main

Christian Marillat has just incorportated some new amd64
optimizations into mplayer (from the changelog):

mplayer (1:1.0-pre6-0.3) unstable; urgency=low

 * Enable all optimizations for amd64.

-- Christian Marillat <marillat@debian.org> Tue, 4 Jan 2005 00:51:42 -0800

Cheers,
Dave

About 32 bit emulation, if i need to run a 32bit app i look for a
statically compiled binary, and they use to work. I tried to configure
a chroot environment to run labview 7, but i didn't success.

Aritz Beraza [Rei]