Re: TIGER K8w Dual opteron crash

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 01:23:27PM +0000, Manuel Capinha wrote:
> The machine is using a TIGER K8w motherboard, 2 Opteron CPUs, 1Gb of
> RAM on 2 DDR sticks and 2 Seagate SATA harddrives running on RAID 1.

I suppose you're running a 2.6 kernel. If the board has a Silicon Image
SATA chip and you're using the sata_sil driver, you might want to add
this into the sil_blacklist in drivers/scsi/sata_sil.c:

 { "ST3200822AS",        SIL_QUIRK_MOD15WRITE },

Replace ST3200822AS with the model number of your drive(s), you can see
them in the kernel boot messages. Recompile the kernel, and try to
recreate the problem.

The problem is that some Seagate SATA drives have a bug in their
firmware for some rarely used but valid SATA commands. The quirk works
around that bug by not issueing those commands.

HTH,
Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --