Re: x86 vs. AMD64 port...

Dale E. Martin wrote:
OK, and that can be managed coarsely by grub or via dchroot as you suggest
below.  My proposal of running 32 bit userspace with some 64 bit support
could work by picking a 64 bit kernel and mounting a 32 bit userspace, and
then having the 64 bit userspace mounted in the root tree.  "dchroot" could
be used to have g++ and friends run from the 64 bit userspace but
everything else coming from the 32 bit userspace?

Yep. I was also suggesting that you should do the scripting so it also works the other way. If you boot with kernel64,user64,chroot32 then you want the scripting that invokes the 32-only applications to kick them into the chroot. That way you can boot whichever way suits your need.

Is this the idea?  And then eventually multiarch will make it possible to
intermingle packages from either port?

So I gather. Don't hold your breath; assume the dual boot will be your long term solution ... and you won't be disappointed. 8-(