Re: gcc-3.4 ready?

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 12:08:38PM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> You should mention the sources.list for this. AFAIK its
>
> deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/gcc-3.4/ unstable main non-free
> contrib
> deb-src http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/gcc-3.4/ unstable main
> non-free contrib

 I just spent several hours installing pure64 gcc-3.4 onto a dual Opteron
workstation (Tyan S2882, 6GB of RAM[1] :).  This is for use by a
not-very-hackerly user, but he'll be able to ask me for help if anything
breaks.  I left a partition for a sarge i386 dual boot, which I haven't set
up yet.  A few gcc-3.4 bumps along the way:

 I used the daily-built sid-amd64-monolithic.iso from Alioth.  Besides not
doing a very good job of letting me partition and set up RAID1 + LVM, it
still doesn't tell debootstrap all the packages it needs.  What finally
worked was
debootstrap --include=libstdc++6,gcc-3.4-base,libgnutls11 sarge /target http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/gcc-3.4/

exim-daemon-light depends on libgnutls11 in the gcc-3.4 archive, but
debootstrap is still pulling in libgnutls10.

 Fortunately, I didn't have any trouble with GRUB.

 Now it's installed, and I've come across some more interesting things:
ia32-libs and libc6-i386 both contain /lib/ld-linux.so.2.  What's the
difference between ia32-libs-dev and libc6-i386-dev, and which one should I
use?  Hmm, libc6-i386  Replaces: ia32-libs, but it doesn't  Conflicts:.  Not
good.

[1]Anyone know what the BIOS setting  IOMMU Absolute vs. Best Fit modes are?
And which MTRR setting does Linux like better: Discrete or Continuous
(continuous mean it has an uncachable region for the PCI hole, instead of
just leaving it out of the MTRR altogether).

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)