Re: gcc-3.4 ready?

Andreas Jochens wrote:
As for stability, I am using the packages from the amd64/gcc-3.4 archive myself on three machines (on my main desktop and on two servers) since a
few weeks without any problems. From my own experience I would say
that the stability is almost the same as for i386/unstable.
I second that - stability is quite on par with  i386/unstable.

I just upgraded from pure64 to pure64-gcc3.4 and all works as expected.
(Though Xprt still segfaults :-/), as it did on pure64.

My steps were:
1) change asources list to use the new repository
2) apt-get update
3) apt-get dist-upgrade
4) apt-get remove libstdc++5
5) apt-get --get-selections | grep -v deinstall | grep install | xargs -n 20 apt-get install --reinstall -m

Step 4 caused a lot of packages to be upgraded, and some removed. I looked over the packages to be removed, and saw that I never used these anyhow.

Step 5 may be unnessesary, but I wanted to make sure that all packages were compiled using gcc-3.4. Some packages could not be retrieved (as they are not yet in the gcc-3.4 tree, but I guess they will soon be.)

Thanks for the great work. I can only imagine how much time you must have put into it, just looking at the bugs you have filed. Very good work.

Regards
Andreas Jochens

Regards
Anders Fugmann