Re: Problems etc. when installing pure64

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 03:48:41PM +0200, Philipp Frauenfelder wrote:
> - I have the following graphics card:
>
>   0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>         Subsystem: LeadTek Research Inc.: Unknown device 53c3
>         Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 16
>         Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
>         Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
>         Expansion ROM at faf00000 [disabled] [size=128K]
>         Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
>         Capabilities: [44] AGP version 3.0
>
>   and a "Eizo FlexScan L767" with a DVI cable. The monitor only
>   showed green or purple or blue snow instead of a gdm login
>   screen after installing xserver-xfree86. I had to install the
>   binary driver from NVidia to get a usable picture under X. The
>   text console worked from the beginning.

 I recently helped someone at work set up a (P4 w/HT) laptop with the mobile
version of that video hardware.  Even on i386, I saw pretty much the same
messed up graphics with the "nv" driver.  The binary-only crap worked (and
without as much hassle because it was i386).  Other people have reported
this with i386 laptops, too.

 It seems that the current state of the art in desktop vid hardware with
Free drivers is the Radeon 9200 :/  Stupid ATI making closed HW now too :(

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)