Re: Debian on my Targa laptop, next steps

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:10:35 -0700
Alex Perry <alex@qm.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 09:45:02AM -0700, François Dreyfuerst wrote:
> > 2) Since I only have a DSL Net connection through USB modem, and no floppy drive on this laptop anyway, I need to mount my USB memory stick.
> >
> > Evrey time I try to do it, I get something like that (hotplug is active, usb-storage and sd_mod modules loaded a boot time) :
> >
> > >usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using address 4 (4 can be another number)
> > >usb 1-3: control timeout on ep0out
> > >usb 1-3: control timeout on ep0out
> > >usb 1-3: device not accepting address 4, error -110
> > >and then the same goes on with 5 instead of 4 as address ...
>
> Ok, this indicates a communications error between the USB stack and the
> device.  I have experienced this for two different (unrelated) reasons:
> (1) bad cable so that the device cannot communicate reliably enough.
> (2) using EHCI for 2.0 support, with a 1.1 hub and the device is 1.1 too.
>
> You can check for (1) by trying the device in a different kernel or OS.
> You can resolve (2) by explicitly disabling the EHCI support and retrying.
>

> --

I got the same hardware package and this memory stick works brilliant.
Just modprobe ehci_hcd, sd_mod and usb_storage. Then plug the device in. I plug it in on the left side, the port closes to the IEEE1394 port. That shouldn't mather though.
--
Christian     .-.    Bjälevik
Jabber.org    /v\     nafallo