Debian on my Targa laptop, next steps

Hello again

A few days ago, I told you of my problems with my Targa Visionary 811 (amd64) laptop.

Thanks to a member of this list, some of them could be solved.

I am now able to boot in text mode (X server is not installed yet), but it seems some packages were not installed properly (or at all), which causes trouble.

Actually, the friend who helped me and I have created :

a / partition using /dev/hda7

a swap (/dev/hda5)

a LVM partition on /dev/hda8, hosting /usr, /usr/local, /home, /var and /tmp ; those can be reached through

/dev/mapper/main-usr for /usr

/dev/mapper/main-home for /home

and so on...

(the rest are Windows XP partitions ; I have to keep Windows because of professional reasons ...)

The /etc/fstab file has been modified to mount those partitions at boot time --> seems to work.

But there still are quite problems :

1) The virtual /usr partition appears to be too small, but the lvm - resize tools didn't seem to work properly, or we didn't use them the right way
(2 G taken from /home to be put to /usr) :
that could explain why certain packages haven't been installed...

2) Since I only have a DSL Net connection through USB modem, and no floppy drive on this laptop anyway, I need to mount my USB memory stick.

Evrey time I try to do it, I get something like that (hotplug is active, usb-storage and sd_mod modules loaded a boot time) :

usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using address 4 (4 can be another number)
usb 1-3: control timeout on ep0out
usb 1-3: control timeout on ep0out
usb 1-3: device not accepting address 4, error -110
and then the same goes on with 5 instead of 4 as address ...

When I look in the /dev directory, I see no sd* (or scd*, ...) device.
cat /proc/scsi/scsi says : "Attached devices : " [none]

Using the makedev script didn't seem to fix that problem, but ...
Now comes the most surprising :

booting from a Mandrake linux (french) distribution in what is called "rescue" mode (which doesn't exist on the sid-amd64-NetInstall CD), shipping a 2.4.2x kernel, and mounting /dev/hda7 under /mnt, I see all the devices I would need under /mnt/dev --> the /dev directory of the Debian system, if I'm not absolutely confused.
In other words, it looks like all the devices have in fact been created, but some of them are not seen under Debian ...

Is it possible that there is some kind of (what in french we call) "viscious circle" : those packages which are not yet installed are exactly those I would need to fix the problems I encounter, and finish properly my installation (I still have to install the x-server, kernel-source and kernel-headers, for example) ?

What do you think of it all ?

FD