Re: How to build a kernel which boots from SATA?

On 2004-07-22 22:25:39 +0200, Michael Bienia wrote:
> So I tried to build a new kernel (2.6.8-rc2) but I
> didn't get it to boot from my SATA disk. The installed kernel
> (2.6.7-5-amd64-k8-smp) boots fine (module is sata_via).
> I tried to compile all necessary drivers into the kernel but it didn't
> boot (the error message was AFAIR
> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) )
> I also tried to use the configuration from the working kernel and only
> change the needed options but I also didn't get it to boot (as I
> normally don't use a initrd, is "mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-rc2 2.6.8-rc2"
> the right command to build the initrd?).
>
> What is the correct way to build a kernel which boots from a SATA disk?

I finally solved it and it boots now 2.6.8-rc3 from my SATA disk.
If I unterstood some mails to linux-kernel correctly, accessing SATA
disks through /dev/hdX has moved into a seperate option
(BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA) which defaults to N and the description suggests not
to activate it. SATA disks are now accessed as scsi disk (/dev/sdX).

After I now also included scsi disk support (BLK_DEV_SD) (it wasn't used
in the old kernel so I didn't include it into my new kernel) and
switched from root=/dev/hde5 to root=/dev/sda5 it boots now.

Michael