Re: amd64 installer (Debian From Scratch)

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 08:32:46AM -0700, Toshikazu Aiyama, Ph.D. wrote:
> Sorry I forgot to elaborate O and E.  O means boot good w/o serious errors.  E
> in this case means deadly serious.  After displaying less than a page of
> booting message, it simply halt by showing core dump.  But it happened only
> when I choose AMD64 image.  For your reference I attach dmesg and lspci -v
> output as I promised.(I pulled them out booting from x86_64 image).

It would be most helpful if you could somehow write down or get me the
text that appears on the screen when it crashes.  I suspect that there
is a driver being compiled into the kernel that is buggy and interfering
with your system.  I have seen a few like that already (which is why,
for instance, the amd64 kernel does not have Future Domain SCSI support
wheras the i386 does).  If you can get me the text from the screen, I
can probably track down exactly where the problem is occuring and
disable that particular driver for the next build of the DFS ISO.

> I will certainly try your image this weekend, but a lot of people except Jef
> Garzik himself do not understand my intention to install direct to SATA disk
> with more than 15 partitions.  Jef wrote me almost jokingly he will implement
> SATA version at his version 2nd of libata.

I must say that I do not either.  I have no SATA disks, and I'm also not
clear how the partitioning plays with the type of disk here.  However,
if you can tell me what kernel options must be changed in the DFS
kernel, I would be happy to make those changes for the next ISO.

Also, if you are going to be using that many partitions, I'd seriously
encourage you to look at the Logical Volume Manager (LVM) instead of a
basic DOS-style partition table.  LVM is a much more powerful
partitioning system, and DFS supports it.  Read
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/ for more information.  Among other
things, LVM supports dynamically adding more space to your partitions
and noncontiguous partitions.  Combined with a filesystem that can be
expanded on the fly such as JFS, you can add space to a partition on a
rnuning system and have it show up within seconds (without having to
take down any programs, either).  Plus your partitions can be named.
All in all, a good system.

-- John