Re: Recommedn AMD64 machine for Debian

Ryan Lovett wrote:

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 09:03 -0600, Michael Madden wrote:
Has anyone had success with a certain machine using Debian for AMD64.  We
have a wealth of experience using Dell and HP workstations, but neither
of them offer an AMD64 option.  If I cannot get a prebuilt machine from
someone like Dell or HP, what type of motherboard and peripherals
(SCSI/IDE/SATA hard drive, network card, sound card, video card, DVD burner, etc) would you recommend setting up?

Both Sun (w2100z) and IBM (IntelliStation A Pro) sell Opteron
workstations. We've got several of both and they've worked out great so
far. The hardware is almost identical between the two.

Ryan

Asus K8V-X motherboard, includes sata (RAID0, RAID1), Gig-E, USB2 and 6 channel sound (+spdf) but lacks ieee1394 if you need that

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8V-X&langs=09

Along with an nVidia fx5200, Kingston RAM, a Westerndigital HD and a Philips DVD burner it works just find with debian-amd64 for me.

heck I'm typing on it now.

still missing mplayer, flash and openoffice (natively) though