Re: VMware errrors.

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > You must run ldconfig after making the symlinks.
>
> Normally, this should be done automatically at the time you install the
> .deb package...

ldconfig sets symlinks according to configuration in /etc/ld.so.conf.
If this is done in a chroot then it configures it according to the
chroot's /etc/ld.so.conf file.  For programs running in the chroot
that is fine.

But if you are running i686 outside the chroot then the outside the
chroot area must know about the libraries in this other location.  To
programs running outside they don't know anything about chroots.  They
only know what the /etc/ld.so.conf tells the dynamic loader about and
at that time it just looks like libraries in a unique filesystem
location.  My /etc/ld.so.conf looks like this:

  /usr/X11R6/lib
  /emul/ia32-linux/lib
  /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib
  /emul/ia32-linux/usr/X11R6/lib
  /emul/ia32-linux/usr/local/lib

That also means that when ldconfig is run in the system normally,
outside of the chroot, that it will set up the symlinks (again) for
anything inside the chroot too.  That is fine.  Just noting that it
happens twice, effectively.

An alternative method would be to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the ia32
libraries.  That should work too.  But better not to require
environment variables to run programs.

So normally a program installed in the chroot is available immediately
by programs outside the chroot and there is no need to run ldconfig
explicitly.

Bob