Re: Minimal server hardware configuration

On Friday 05 November 2004 20:19, Brendan Dacre wrote:
> Gentlepeople,
>
> I am planning to build a "personal server" to run Debian AMD64.  I
> want to build this system as cheaply and have as little unnecessary
> hardware as possible.
>
> I won't have a monitor on the system (certainly not a permanent one
> anyway) and was planning to remotely administer it using ssh (after
> installation).  As for the initial installation, I was hoping to
> use a serial cable to send the console output to a terminal on
> another linux PC, if this is possible.
>
> Initially I was going use a Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M (with integrated
> graphics) because it will be a text only system (no X).  But I
> couldn't find this motherboard in the compatibility list.  I also
> began to have doubts based on the fact that it was probably an
> "entry-level" motherboard and although I want save money by
> omitting unnecessary features and components, I don't want to
> cripple my system, I want it to have sound basic components.
><snip>
> Since my system was going to be text only and remotely
> administered, I began to wonder, did I need physical video hardware
> at all?
>
> Brendan

One reason you might not be able to find your board on the
compatibility list, is because some people might not have purchased
this board, tried it with Debian. They chipset is supported, as far
as the graphics it might be hit and miss, but if its what you need
and want I would go ahead and purchase it.

As far as getting an entry-level board, I would not worry about that
either. If you look at the big manufactures, HP, Dell, Intel, Gateway
they use Foxconn, other board manufactures. In fact Intel
subcontracts to Foxconn, so those who purchase a nice Intel board is
paying extra just for the name. If you look at the difference between
a server board, and a regular board, you will see mostly more addons,
such as SCSI, dual onboard lan, PCI-X a few other things. If you do
not need these features then do not purchase a board with these
items. One of the biggest factors in a reliable board is the power
supply you use with it, also the memory.

If you buy a board from one of the big five, you should be fine. As of
right now most board manufactures are using better caps, a few years
ago a lot of boards had bad caps, and would fail a lot. If memory
serves me right Albatron is one of the few manufactures that has
stated that they only use capacitors made in Japan. Asus, MSI, Abit,
others all had problems with bad caps. Most of these problems, are
now non problems, like I said earlier, most manufactures use the same
parts, in a server board, as they do in their general boards, do you
really think that a board manufacture will have two different
capacitors with the same rating, one for servers one for general
boards?

Just remember common sense things in a server system, good power
supply, good memory, good cooling. That goes as well for hard drives,
if you can have a case fan blowing over a hard drive it will last
longer. Is their a reason you need 64 bit, it almost sounds like a 32
bit system would be cheaper to build with your requirements. I know
sometimes we all get exicited about the newest and greatest, but at
times its not necessary.

Rthoreau