Re: Minimal server hardware configuration

Brendan Dacre wrote:

Since my system was going to be text only and remotely administered, I began to wonder, did I need
physical video hardware at all?

Brendan
(unnecessary parts clipped)

Short version - no, you dont.

Longer version - yes, you'll probably want to have something handy just in case. But "something" might mean an old PCI VGA card. On the minimal level, you'll only need it for installation, then you can just take it out and manage it nicely with ssh. But after the first problem - might be a little oops with kernel upgrade, power outage or anything - you will realize spending $5 or so on a second hand vga card will be worth it. It's a lot easier to just plug in some monitor and a keyboard when it doesn't boot, compared to opening the case, installing the vga card and rebooting, hoping you can reproduce the exact same error.

/v\