package updates in Sarge AMD64

Hello,

After using the Sarge AMD64 distribution for some time, I did notice the
Package.gz file gets updated but the packages inside the archive don't.

(I'm talking about the distribution at:
http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/sarge/dists/sarge/)

Is this due to a technical problem, or a shortage on manpower?

Some package are broken (koffice), and the versions from unstable can't be
installed due to dependencies on more recent libraries.

Running unstable is not a option. We need to have a production system by
December. We need a 64 bit distribution for a cluster project.
Or should we switch to a other distribution?

Best regards,

Bert.