network probs on HP xw8200

Greetings,

I installed Debian on my HP xw8200 (EM64T based) workstation via the
sid-amd64-netinst.iso image.  The install went fine, but the network
doesn't appear to be working correctly when I try and 'apt-get update'
or even use wget to download a file.  The transfer starts, and then
abruptly slows down to just a few bytes/sec, and then eventually times
out.  The nic is an Intel pro/1000, pretty standard I think.

The hardware is fine, and I even installed Redhat 9 on this same
machine to make sure which worked.  But I'd rather use Debian.  Has
anyone seen these sort of problems with the amd64 port?