double mouse clicks with Linux 2.6.9?

I've upgraded to a vanilla Linux 2.6.9 kernel in hopes of fixing
my strange audio problems. (no such luck, btw)  I seem to have picked
up another strange behavior, though.  Around 25% of mouse clicks seem
to be registered as double clicks.  (Clicking "Back" on Mozilla
will sometimes go back two pages.)  It's happening with all apps,
and it just started happening when I replaced the kernel.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is my system just slowly falling
apart?

I'm running Debian sid i386 on an Asus K8V SE Delux Athlon64.

Eric