Re: Confused

Aritz Beraza Garayalde [Rei] wrote:
Hello,

After reading the howto and browsing the mailing list I am still
confused about the debian version(s) of amd64.

So I here is my situation.
In the company I working we are developing a project involving physics,
3d, opengl, gtk and more. We are currently using debian sarge on i386
but we decided to switch to pure 64 bit amd64 hardware. We want a pure
64 bit environment and we do not care about openoffice / flash or any
commercial software. We already ordered 3 amd64 boxes and they arriving
tomorrow, so it's time to decide what distro/version to install.

And here are my questions:
* How does debian amd64 compares with other distros (suse, fedora) in
terms of stability and 64 bit efficiency?

pure64 is about the same as gentoo in speed terms (and i spent a lot
of time testing gcc flags with gentoo). I've found debian to be more
stable than gentoo, not quite, but you notice de difference.

* What is the difference between pure64 and gcc-3.4? I saw somewhere
that gcc-3.4 binaries run faster. Is there a catch?

Not really shure, but as amd64 is quite new, newer versions of gcc
will improbe the execution speed of the executables. So you can bet
gcc 3.4 version will be faster.

* The mailing list left me with the impression that sarge is not ready
yet, is it?. Does it keep up with the i386 sarge? Can it be installed
like an i386 sarge (net inst->base system->package installation)?

I personally like the idea of the gcc-3.4, since it looks like the
"most" 64 bit version. However this is not intended for my home pc and I
would not like to make difficult the life of my colleagues who are not
experienced Linux users.

Pure64 is fully 64 bits, and works fine. It's also easy to install
most of the times (although some installation problems have been
reported with some motherboards)

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a pure64 distro (gcc 3.3), and it works flawlessly. No hangs,
no crashes. Only a few programs seem to have a few problems: (Anjuta
doesn't even start, but it's the only one). Therefore, pure 64 is a
secure bet. You can test gcc 3.4 and if meets expectations upgrade the
rest. (and post your impressions to the list xDDD)

Regards
Aritz Beraza [Rei]

Thanks Aritz.

You 've been very helpful!

I will go for the pure64.

Expect an installation report very soon.

Regards

John