Re: 64-bit kernel on sid / pure64?

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 21:14 -0400, Kyle Rose wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> > But then the 64-bit apps aren't really running on that 32-bit box,
> > are they?
>
> Huh?  If I run a 32-bit X server in a chroot and a 64-bit app with the
> DISPLAY directed to localhost:0.0 (or move the UNIX domain socket to
> the right place...) then everything should work fine AND be running on
> the same box.

The 32-bit "pseudo-machine" still isn't *running* the the pure
64-bit app.

As you said, X is a client/server protocol, so it doesn't matter
the "bittness" of either the client or the app.  They are dis-
associated.

Now, if the OP's question really was "can a 32-bit X server run
inside a chroot jail on an otherwise pure-64 system", then that
would have elicited a totally different response from me.  Clear
writing is always useful.

> > Besides, there's no such thing as a 32-bit Xserver.
> > http://www.apple.com/xserve/
>
> ??  I'm almost tempted to call this post a troll.

Lame attempt at humor.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B