X munged

Since an upgrade October 6, I haven't been able to log in through xdm
as an ordinary user.  My .xsession-error file contains lines such as this:

Xsession: X session started for don at Thu Oct  7 12:57:10 EDT 2004
open: Permission denied

I can log in through a text console as ordinary user and I can login
through xdm as root.

It seems to be a file permission problem, but I can't find the file.
/usr/bin/X11/* permissions all look good.  Perhaps someone who knows X
better could help.

I'm running pure64, 2.6.8-4 SMP and enlightenment.

Thanks.

Don Hayward
don@pomobuli.net