vmware problem

I have succesfully patched (vmware-any-any-update83), built modules and
installed vmware workstation 4.5.2 build 8848. The problem comes when I start
it and want to create a new virtual machine: the program goes down with this
output:

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers
libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work

my running kernel:

Linux malambruno 2.6.8-4-amd64-k8 #1 Mon Sep 20 20:04:07 CEST 2004 x86_64
GNU/Linux

I'm not concerned about the warnings, but about the libgcc_s.so.1 error. I've
checked that the library is in its place, so I don't know much else I can do
since I'm not a linux guru. Help shall be well received.