Re: newbie

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 02:05:48PM +0200, Sythos wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 01:26:07PM +0200, Thomas J. Zeeman wrote:
> > > If I install amd64 port can I execute old i386 apps?
> > Yes. See the AMD64 FAQ/HOWTO on the ports page for more info.
>
> The chroot is the only solution or in a little future there is a
> pissibility to run i386 apps in general enviroment?

 You can run i386 stuff.  E.g. readseq is broken on amd64 (pure64 gcc 3.4),
so I copied /usr/bin/readseq from i386 Debian on another machine to
/usr/local/bin.  I had to put the libraries from libncbi6 in
/usr/lib/i486-linux, since there doesn't seem to be a place in /usr/local
for ia32 libs. :(  Programs that only use libc and libm will work with
libc6-i386 (you need that for /lib/ld-linux.so.2, too).  Statically linked programs
are of course fine.

 BTW, is there a way to use different ld.so.conf setups for ia32 and amd64?
ldconfig has an option to use a different cache.  I guess I'd have to binary
edit or recompile ld.so to use the alternate cache.  (or is there an env var?)

 (Too bad my new favourite hex editor  hte  isn't available on AMD64 :(

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)