Re: Compaq Presario R3240US

d wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I want to share my experience installing pure64 on
> this laptop.
>
> Ocassionally the keyboard gets stuck, It appears to be
> a problem with the mouse, because if I unload the
> psmodule, the keyboard gives no response.
> Also with this message:
> atkbd.c: Spurious ACK on isa0060/serio1. Some program,
> like XFree86, might be trying access hardware directly
>
> And the MAIN Problem is this:
>
> After I run the xserver and try to return to the tty
> the screen gets noisy, like a noisy tv. The OS is
> running normaly, the only problem is that I cant see
> nothing.
>
> I have tried to correct the problem compiling the
> kernel, downloading the nvidia driver, and downloading
> the new xfree 4.4 binaries and nothing solves it.

The same thing happens with x86 on my laptop (same model). I have been
able to get the keyboard to work by randomly pressing keys until I hit
the funny bone in the kernel. It then works normally.

The noise is typical with new laptops and linux. It's not entirely linux
and/or X's fault. Wait a while (3-6 months after the laptop goes to
market) and it'll start to work. After that starts to work, the next
step would be to change /etc/issue to be blank.  I'm not sure how much
the login prompt can be trimmed down though. I would look at the
getty man page for that.

--
Michael L. Brownlow