Re: amd64 and video card experiences?

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:05:43 -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon
<mmagallo@debian.org> wrote:

>  I would have said, Quadros run even hotter (given that they are clocked
>  higher), but for your question: the NVIDIA binary-only drivers support
>  all NVIDIA cards, including the Quadro series.  I have never seen them
>  myself in an Opteron box (highest end I've seen myself is a 5950).

Actually, Quadros tend not to run hotter -- they are a bit
underclocked with respect to the Geforce Ultra series cards.  For this
reason, Quadros  benchmark a bit slower than the Ultra cards for video
games; however, in theory, anyway, they're more reliable than the
Ultras.

It used to be that Quadros had only a few extra features versus their
non-Quadro cousins -- faster wire-frame modes, overlay planes, 10-bit
LUTs, etc.  This was the case on GNU/Linux, at least.  On Win32,
Quadros have drivers that are somehow "tuned" for digital content
creation packages like Maya and 3D Studio Max., though I don't know
what, exactly, the benefits of these drivers are.

You can see most of the driver-related benefits of Quadro cards on
GNU/Linux by reading the README file that accompanies the Debian
nvidia-glx package.

The latest Quadros (FX 4xxx series) support longer pixel shader
programs than the non-Quadro versions, and there's also new Quadro
that supports an HD I/O daughtercard.

Also, Quadro cards tend to have dual DVI connectors.  Most non-Quadro
cards that I've seen have one DVI and one VGA connector.