Re: gcc-3.4 builds

On 04-Jul-26 19:05, Anders Peter Fugmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see a new directory on alioth named gcc-3.4, which seems to contain
> alot of packages. I guess that this is all the packages compiled with
> gcc-3.4, which generates better code for x86-64 than gcc-3.3.
>
> Is this a complete port (compared to pure64 on alioth) or should I sill
> have pure64 in my sources.list for packages that are not yet compiled
> using gcc-3.4?

Currently all packages are being recompiled with gcc-3.4 as the default
compiler. The resulting packages are being uploaded to the new
repository in the gcc-3.4 directory.

Every package is being compiled in clean chroot environment with only
the specified Build-Depends installed. Building about 8500 packages
takes some time even on an amd64 machine.

At the moment the gcc-3.4 repository has about 1200 packages
and it includes all packages with priorities 'Required', "Important' and
'Standard' as well as all packages from the base system which are necessary
to debootstrap a chroot environment.

However, the upload of the missing ~7000 packages will take a few
more days.

> Also, is there any issues to be aware of when mixing gcc 3.4 compiled
> packages with gcc 3.3 compiled packages? I read that gcc 3.4 has changed
> ABI from gcc 3.3, but I'm not sure which architectures this affectes.

I would recommend _not_ to use the packages from the gcc-3.4 repository
until the conversion of the archive has been completed.

C++ programs compiled with g++-3.3 use the library from the libstdc++5
package while programs compiled with g++-3.4 use the one from
libstdc++6. There are (minor) incompatibilities between those two
libraries.

Regards
Andreas Jochens