Re: Migration from unstable to testing.

Ron Johnson wrote:

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 18:17 +0000, Chris Wakefield wrote:
Greetings all:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the developers and people involved in porting Debian Linux to amd64. Debian is my favorite Distribution and it's so great to finally be able to run in 64 bit mode! I have been reading most of the posts, since the beginning of this year, and I could see that it has been a lot of work and stress for you all.

Thank You !!!

My only concern at this point is: when Debian-amd64 finally makes it into testing, how likely would a migration from unstable to testing succeed? ... and would it be as simple as editing the sources.list and _not_ involve pinning? (<-- not to be confused with my "pining" for Debian-amd64!) or should I wait and do a reinstall to avoid the possible difficulties?

You're already running pure-amd64?

Hi Ron

Well, I may have embarassed myself, but I assumed that installing from:

 http://debian.inode.at/pure64/

with the

http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/install-images/sid-amd64-monolithic.iso

image, and that:

 deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 sid main contrib non-free

is listed in my sources.list, that it would be a pure64?

I have noticed that in the .config file of:  vmlinuz-2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon

has this:

 CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION=y

Maybe I'm mistaken?  Please inform me if I am.

Thanks,

Chris W.