Re: amd64 <-> x86_64

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 02:54:19PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Robert Millan (zeratul2@wanadoo.es) wrote:
> > Now that the technical comitte has ruled in favour of 'amd64' for the debian
> > archname (DEB_HOST_ARCH variable), I wonder what will happen with the other
> > dpkg-architecture variables, which are actualy much more important than
> > the architecture name dpkg uses internaly to identify debian ports.
>
> DEB_HOST_ARCH = "amd64"
> DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU = "x86_64"
> etc.
>
> Users and developers can understand it.  It's hardly a 'dual naming',
> and if you're going to be concerned about it being one go look at all of
> the *other* 'dual naming's we have in Debian already.

So your point is that "dual namings are not that bad". Ok. Now, how is this
dual naming actualy _better_ than the former scheme:

DEB_HOST_ARCH = "x86-64"
DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU = "x86_64"

To my eyes, the former scheme was at least consistent. If your answer is that
for some reason "amd64" is preferable to "x86-64", how is it the same reason
does not apply to "x86_64"?

--
Robert Millan

(Debra and Ian) (Gnu's Not (UNiplexed Information and Computing System))/\
(kernel of *(Berkeley Software Distribution))