ntop and libpcap

Hello,

i'm trying to use ntop-3.0 with a pure64 debian.

It is in the archive and gets installed and running, but somehow libpcap
drops almost every package.

After a few seconds I get the following numbers:
Packets dropped by libpcap - 216,366 (3975%)
packets processed - 5.443

I'm a newbe with this, so excuse my lack of expertise, but investigating
a bit I have found this, although I don't know if its important.

in pure 64:
- ntop is built against libpcap (which is libpcap0.7).
- there is also libpcap0.8-0.8.3-3 (which says in its info that it
conflicts with libpcap or libpcap0.7, but both get installed together).

I think to have read somewhere that libpcap0.8 is backwards compatible
with libpcap0.7.

The upstream libpcap 0.8.3 is a bugfix for 64 bit architectures of
libpcap0.8.2. (I gess that libpcap 0.7 has this same (or even more) bugs
and this is why its not working??)

I tried downloading the source packages of libpcap0.8 and ntop-3 and
building them. No problem with libpcap0.8. I installed both the base as
the -dev packages.

Then I wanted to try compiling ntop against this. I had to modify its
debian/control file to change the builddep from libpcap-dev to
libpcap0.8-dev.

It started to compile but after a while I got the following:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libpcap.a(pcap-linux.o): relocation
R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with
-fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libpcap.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libntop.la] Error 1

any clues??

Thank you